Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goals for 2010

Getting together a few writing/reading goals for 2010 has definitely been on my mind for the last two days, and I feel like it's sort of a contract with myself.  If I put it in writing, and post it in public, I'm somehow more accountable.  So here are my goals, and hopefully by next December, I can report back favorably!

  1. Read more books -- Lost Wanderer threw down the gauntlet, and I'm accepting the challenge.  I'm committing to five books per month.  It's not a lot, but I'm really not sure how much time I'll have in my new job, so I'm starting slow. 
  2. Read more new authors -- If I want to be a new author someday, then I should be reading new authors, right?  One of the books I read each month will be from a new author.  If you have any suggestions, particularly for plain old fiction, please post!  I haven't picked my January books yet.
  3. Read more blogs -- I read a lot of blogs.  Many of them are written by professionals in the publishing industry.  Some of them have to do with my day job or my other interests.  Some of them are just for fun.  Few of them are written by other writers like me, although the number of these blogs I'm reading has increased since I started participating in Absolute Write's monthly blog chain (a great experience so far!).  I resolve to read more of these, post more on these, and if possible, feature a favorite quote of the week from these on this blog for a little shared inspiration.
  4. Keep a blog schedule -- You get out of it what you put into it, and I need to put more into it.  I'm going to post at least once a week, with an aspiration of twice a week.  If I can get a good rhythm going, maybe more.
  5. Write!  -- Oh, yeah, that too.  I'm not going to set any crazy goals for writing fiction this year, other than participating in NaNoWriMo and attending my writer's group.  My only goal is to write regularly, and I like the idea that Helen has:  I'm going to write 500 words before I'm allowed to play on the computer at night when I get home from work.  Hopefully, I'll get a first rewrite of Crossing Lines done, do some of the research I need for two of the stories that are kicking around in my brain, and maybe get started writing those as well.  But, baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment